Year-round, school day program for children ages 3-7
At Nature Nuts, we have fun exploring the forest with friends from treetops to dirt and puddles with slugs and bugs and birds and squirrels in between. In addition to the forest, we also have extensive gardens for children to learn to grown their own vegetables and flowers. We believe that hands-on learning is the best educational approach for children. Being outdoors provides them with not only fresh air; it encourages imaginative play, creativity, hand-eye coordination, balance, physical strength and mental clarity. A story and light snack is provided during class.
Nature Nuts is a member of the American Forest Kindergarten Association (AFKA) and follows their educational model:
- Nature Immersion – all classes are all outdoors and include hours of unstructured free play in nature no matter what the weather.
- Flow Learning (aka Interest Led or Child Led) is implemented. Flow learning is the learning that emerges when children are free explorers in nature.
- Inquiry-Based teaching is used. Teachers act as guides (reflecting back awe and wonder in nature) and are not the center of attention. Activities are offered, but are not required.
- Documentation of learning is collected and is shared with parents to engage the family community.
Our current year classes are full and we are full for 2017-2018. To be added to our wait list or for more information, Contact Us.
- Sensory awareness - exploring with all of our senses
- Nature skills - animal tracking, plant i.d., fire-building
- Hands-on gardening - fruits, veggies, herbs, flowers, pumpkins
- Music, Art and Drama
- Safety in nature
- Plant and animal awareness
September to June: Mon/Wed OR Tue/Th afternoons (12:30 - 3:30) or Tue/Th mornings (9:00 - 11:30)
Nature Nuts Camp, Lake Francis area of Maple Valley, WA
Ages 3-7 (potty trained)
Morning Classes $225/month ( 2.5 hours/class) - Afternoon Classes $270/month (3 hours/class)
4:1 Student/Teacher ratio, limited to 8 students per class.